A High School Shared Reading Experience
Please consider offering the new, nonpartisan, nonfiction book You Call THIS Democracy? to your social studies, civics, or government classes or your whole school for a dynamic shared-reading experience.
IMAGINE students becoming jazzed about an important transition they will face a graduates―as a new voter.
IMAGINE students delving into an accessible text that helps them engage in upcoming elections―and beyond.
IMAGINE students truly connected to the public and political life of their local community.
IMAGINE students from all backgrounds seriously considering whether they should one day run for office.
IMAGINE your students defying the dismal voter registration and voter turnout rate for young voters, which hovers around 30 percent. In fact, imagine 100 percent registration of eligible graduates―and 100 percent turnout in elections.
You Call THIS Democracy? can help.
In addition to offering the book to all students, or all students in a class, the experience could include:
* Presentations by an author skilled and passionate about inspiring civic engagement
* Small-group student discussions around issues raised in the book (see discussion questions)
* Visits from local and state representatives
* Voter registration and voter education (how to vote) efforts that kick start graduates' voting habits
* A class or school enlivened by a deep understanding of democracy and a commitment to it.
* Creation of a shared forum to talk politics outside the rancor of partisan fighting.
* Students who feel more connected to and knowledgeable about their local government, and a local government more accountable to the students, many of whom may one day be voting constituents.
* Students who think of themselves as citizens, who register to vote wherever they are eligible, and who develop a voting habit―a habit that can last a lifetime.
ORDERING AND DISCOUNT INFORMATION
You Call THIS Democracy? will be available March 31, 2020 in hardcover and paperback from Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and wherever books are sold. For author events, please reach out to Alia.Almeida@HMHco.com for more details on pricing and logistics. To buy sets for your school, please contact your HMH K-12 representative.
Hardcover ISBN: 9780358176923 ($19.99 retail)
Trade Paper ISBN: 9780358387428 ($9.99 retail)
Audio ISBN: 978142819222
FINAL NOTE: OUR DEMOCRACY NEEDS YOUR HELP
Young people, age 18-29, have the lowest voter turnout of any group in the United States. Typically less than a third of this population votes. You can change that for your students and prepare them for a lifetime of active citizenship. Shared reading of this book can help.